Character is Destiny
- Send to friend
The essence of telephone etiquette is the ability to make a connection with the other person. This is much easier to accomplish if you simply communicate with the person in the same way you would if you were meeting the person face-to-face.
This video stresses the importance of the personal connection and encourages employees to consider the rules of telephone courtesy as one simple concept: Respond to the person naturally as if they were there with you, in the same room.
Some concepts explored are:
- Making a phone call compares to making a visit
- Taking a phone call compares to having a visitor
- Placing a call on hold compares to asking the person to wait at the door
- Transferring a phone call compares to introducing two people
- Leaving a phone message compares to making a visit
- Taking a phone message compares to receiving another person’s visitor